It’s Halloween! For young children Halloween is full of excitement and one of the best nights of the year. There are lots of treats to be had but there is no trick when it comes to keeping your children safe. You just need to take some precautions and teach your children some simple rules. Here are my top 10 tips for a fun and safe Halloween:
- Put reflective tape on costumes and give kids a flashlight or a glow stick. This helps drivers see children when they are crossing the street.
- Plan your route and let your child know what the route will be. Give them a meeting place should you get separated.
Children should always be with a responsible adult and they need to listen to the adult that is with them.
- Let your kids know that they should NEVER go inside another person’s house or car. They are to remain outside the front door and never approach a car.
- Tell your kids that they should not eat any candy until they get home and you have had a chance to inspect it. Any candy that is in ripped packaging or is home made should be discarded.
- Children should not go trick or treating alone. It is always best to go in groups or with a buddy.
- Tell your children to be aware and alert and to only visit well lit homes.
- If they are wearing a mask make sure the mask fits well and they can see properly out of it. If their view is obstructed they could injure themselves. Kid friendly make up is a better choice.
- To avoid injury kids should walk, not run and stay on the sidewalk
- Running across dark lawns can also cause injury.
- Carry an extra bag or back pack with you that you can empty their candy into so their bag doesn’t get too heavy.
With a little bit of planning and simple precautions you can make sure that Halloween is a safe and happy experience for the whole family.